Télévie is a large movement of solidarity, begun in 1989, for the benefit of the F.R.S. - FNRS, and organised by RTL Belgium. The operation is a means of gathering funds to aid scientific research in its fight against cancer and leukaemia, in children and adults.
All the information on the Télévie products, the evening, etc., is available on the Télévie website.
Please pay your donations into the F.R.S.-FNRS/Télévie account
IBAN : BE44 0000 0001 4245 — BIC: BPOTBEB1
The amount collected each year is transferred to the F.R.S.–FNRS, which organises the evaluation of scientific projects submitted to Télévie: the selected projects receive all of the money collected, the costs associated with the evaluation are covered by the F.R.S.–FNRS' own budget.
Funding decided upon in 2016
In 2016, the campaign brought in 10,141,650 €. Of the 169 dossiers presented, the Télévie Commission selected 105 research projects.
A few major scientific achievements
Since 1989, the Télévie campaign, organised each year by RTL Belgium for the benefit of the Fund for Scientific Research - FNRS played a major role in the popularisation of research amongst the public. Télévie has given a boost to the development of research on leukaemia and cancer in children and adults. It doubled the resources placed at the disposal of our cancerology research teams: it has already made the funding of 2,009 research programmes possible, the awarding of 2,022 grants and mandates and hundreds of international publications. But above all it made several major achievements possible including:
- the exceptional development of the register of bone marrow and stem cell donors by almost 50,000 names,
- the creation of the umbilical cord blood bank, sources of stem cells, which contain more than 10,000 samples,
- a better control of the consequences of a stem cell transplant, which eases the complications and means a greater number of patients can benefit, in particular older people,
- the characterisation of a new type of stem cell - mesenchymal stem cells- , which are currently used on patients to facilitate the taking of certain organ transplants and which represent a great hope in regenerative medecine,
- the setting up of technological platforms enabling you to better specify the diagnosis of leukaemias and cancers with a view to more efficient treatments,
- the detailed study of the transfers of signals which tell a cell to become cancerous,
- the discovery of targets, in leukaemias and cancers, for new "intelligent" medication, the inclusion in the protocols of international treatment which has guaranteed that the sick gain access to the most effective treatments, including, recently, the so-called "intelligent" medication,
- the development of molecular biology tests which make it possible to follow the evolution of leukaemia in a very precise manner after a treatment, searching for the "residual illness" which often predicts a relapse,
- the identification and purification of cancerous stem cells which could lead to relapses,
- the identification of molecular pathways which result in a cancerous cell escaping the treatments applied to it.
If you want to know more...
Request your tax certificate here.